ACPTA’s mini-grant program supports and empowers campus PTAs with small budgets and big ideas. We encourage your PTA to apply!
Please read all materials before you begin your application. The overview and guidelines will help you create a proposal with the best chance of success.
Grants are available in two amounts: up to $250 and up to $500. PTAs must meet certain basic criteria to apply. ACPTA is available to help your PTA if you need support to become eligible.
The application process is designed to be simple and easy to complete. It requires some thought and planning by your PTA board, including your principal. And it requires some information about what the program you hope to offer will look like, how much it will cost and what the benefits will be to your campus community. We also ask for information from your principal and at least one PTA leader about why family engagement has value at your school.
We encourage all PTAs to apply. Priority is given to certain proposals:
- proposals from PTAs with greater need, measured by the PTA’s gross income in the prior year and available funds at the time of application
- proposals from PTAs at schools where more than half of students are categorized as economically disadvantaged
- proposals for projects that serve all students at a school
- proposals for projects that build community on your campus through fun family events
- proposals for projects help to educate parents about supporting student success
We will consider all proposals from PTAs that are eligible, and we encourage PTAs to submit applications for any program that you feel serves your campus community and the mission of PTA to support student success by engaging families.
ACPTA has two annual deadlines for grant proposals, one in the spring and one in the fall. Additional proposals will be considered year-round, and will be awarded if funds are available. Any proposal turned down because funds are not available can be resubmitted the following year, and will receive priority as long as the submitting PTA remains eligible.
Applications can be written in English or in Spanish. We’re not looking for fancy language or long essays. The important thing is to have a clear idea of what you want to do and why that matters to your campus, and to share that in the application.
Your will need to plan ahead. It takes time for us to review applications, so you should apply only for events that are happening far enough in the future to us time to review your proposal and give your PTA time to plan. We strongly recommend applying at least two months ahead of your planned event date.
All grant recipients must document their winning programs with receipts showing how the funds were spent and with photos of the event that can be shared by ACPTA and AISD. Any grant money not used for the program must be returned to ACPTA.
Before you apply
- Review the eligibility guidelines to be sure your PTA is eligible to apply for a grant. You need to meet more requirements for the grant of up to $500, and fewer for the grant of up to $250.
- Work with your principal, your campus community and your PTA members and board to plan an idea for a program. Consider the criteria for evaluating proposals and application questions as you plan. The program should be a good match for the needs of your campus community and a good match for this grant.
- Gather everything that you will need to complete the application. This includes answers to questions about your PTA and the program you plan to offer. It also includes some PTA records that you will need to submit. (These are all things you should have, like a budget for your event and a copy of your most recent bank statement.)
Before you apply, be sure you have a plan in place, the documents you need and an idea of how you will answer the application questions. Once you have those things, your application will probably take less than an hour to complete.
Your application can be completed on paper or online. Remember that you don’t need to write anything long or complicated. Just tell us what your PTA wants to do, explain why you think it’s important and share a few more things about your PTA. Thanks for applying, and good luck!
Questions? Please email email@example.com.