Make it Matter Meet-up: Feb 3, 2020
Date: Monday, Feb 3, 2020
Location: Carver Library | 1161 Angelina St, Austin 78702
Time: 12 pm – 1:30 pm
This is a continuation of the Census 2020 info-session held at the December Meeting, but this time with a focus on planning for your PTA campus (e.g. ways to promote it, connect with other PTAs / schools and why census matters). Joining us will be John Lawler, Census Program Manager for Travis County to provide updates and answer any questions you may have. Come prepared to learn about ways to activate around Census 2020 and connect with others to exchange ideas.
Can’t make it in person? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive link to join by your computer or phone.
There are many ways for your PTA and campus community to learn more and to speak up for issues that you care about:
Get informed on the Texas PTA Legislative Priorities (in English and Spanish). ACPTA members have identified five legislative priorities that matter most to campus communities in Austin:
- Public School Funding System Reform
- Student Mental Health
- Literacy by 3rd Grade and Pre-K Funding
- Juvenile Justice
- Special Education Funding
- Join Make It Matter Mondays Live!
- Meet up with Austin-area PTA members advocating for public schools during “Make it Matter Monday LIVE” to be held on the first Monday of every month February through May.
- First Monday of every month, even through summer months. Get more information by sending an email to email@example.com OR Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/2417552575198545/
- Encourage your campus to send students to the Capitol for a field trip. Field trips must follow a set of guidelines and must include a lesson plan. Here’s a great lesson plan for Capitol field trips that was written by AISD Teacher Amy Price, that’s suitable for students in middle and high schools.
- Invite a free speaker from a local group to your campus to share information about any of these important issues. See the 2019 Legislative Resource Guides, available in English and Spanish. These groups would love to come to your campus during the session or any other time to talk about fun ways to promote literacy, supporting student mental health, support for families whose students need special education, juvenile justice issues and school funding.
- Legislators – District Map and Contact List. Contact information for Texas state legislators that are in Austin ISD and surrounding area. Use these for post-card writing campaigns or sending emails.
- Sign up for Make It Matter Mondays emails. These are weekly messages on key legislative priorities public education, with a focus on Austin ISD schools. A simple way for everyone to activate. Send a message to Sonya Kaleel at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for Advocacy Google Group.